Clearing Hydrocarbon Hoses using Compressed Air

Home Forums Main General Forum Clearing Hydrocarbon Hoses using Compressed Air

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Currently section 10.2.14 of GOMO states:
      “Compressed air should not be used to clear hoses used for the transfer of any hydro- carbon based products since an increased risk of explosion will result”

Does anyone have any data or studies to support this statement?
      Several newer offshore installations are now designed with hoses on reels. Once disconnected and reeling the hose back in any product left in the hose is compressed towards the hose end which then builds up pressure and presents a risk of spill to sea.

Is the perceived risk of static from clearing hoses with compressed air a risk in all climates or is it a risk that increases in warmer climates?

All constructive comments and feedback welcomed.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Euan.
    • Hi Euan
      not really my area of expertise but I think what is needed is to look at “increased risk of explosion” and where this comes from. is there really an increased danger or is it just a perception? my guess would be that the risk increase is minimal but by blowing through the lines reduces the risk of a spill and / or manual handling issues.

hopefully someone with more insight & knowledge on hydrocarbons can feedback and assist

• Hello Euan – I think the issue will be the flash point of the product. I note that ISGOTT does not specifically disallow use of compressed air. Another factor to consider is if the product is carried under inerted atmosphere as the introduction of compressed air if blown back to ships tanks will raise the O2 levels.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New keppra